Situated on both sides of the Moselle and overlooked by the impressive ruins of Landshut Castle, Bernkastel-Kues invites you on a journey through over 2,000 years of history. You can see splendidly decorated half-timbered houses, the early Gothic St. Michael's Church with its baroque organ, the Renaissance town hall and the Renaissance fountain on the market square.
Insights into the city walk:
If you are looking for a moderate ascent to Landshut Castle, we recommend the Family Circuit. The walk leads through Bernkastel with its romantic alleys, along the Tiefenbach stream to the small waterfall, past the Tinkel chapel and finally up to the castle. The route is longer than the other two paths leading from the historic market square and the sharpened house up to the castle, but has the advantage that it leads through the town forest from the Burgbergtunnel and shade-giving trees make the ascent easier on hot days.
On the way through the old town there are many nice places to stop for refreshments.
Getting thereJourney to Bernkastel-Kues
ParkingParking is available on the large Moselle car park on the Bernkasteler and Kueser side, directly on the Moselle. During the winter months parking here is free of charge, from April 1st to December 31st parking is charged. Gestade 18, 54470 Bernkastel-Kues
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentSturdy shoes are recommended
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.