On the Extratour we hike over the Stellberg and immerse ourselves in the original mixed deciduous forest. From the large basalt rubble dump in the summit area, we experience a grandiose view of the Fuldaer Land down to the Rhön river Bieber.
The nature experience continues: Around the basalt mountain Maulkuppe, the "Land of Open Distances" amazes us with changing panoramic views of the Rhön Mountains before the extra tour returns to the starting point.
Safety informationThe tourist routes of the Rhön are mostly used by other active people (hikers, mountain bikers, cyclists, walkers, riders, cross-country skiers, etc.)
We ask all active nature sports enthusiasts to show consideration for one another. The same applies of course to nature - it is worth protecting. In the Rhön, therefore, nature sports should only be practiced in daylight on designated paths and areas.
Tips and hints
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- Sturdy shoes
- Rain clothes
- Sun protection at high temperatures
- First aid kit
- GPS navigation device or map
- Sufficient drinks and provisions
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.